Monday, January 14, 2013

In the Deep of Ottawa's winter!

A whole year and no posting; it's been a bear.
It's January again - and with it another "January melt"; Mom Nature teasing us with +10 degrees, fresh spring like air - but we still have the heart of winter to survive yet.  You're a mean one Ms. Nature!

As with last January, the Ottawa International Motorcycle Show was presented this past weekend; although somewhat "more", it was not all that.  The Harley pavilion was great, well placed front and center, a mecca of shiny chrome, bright lights and big ass bikes.  The other dealers had a presence too but they just didn't do the same job of self promotion!  The usual cacophony of venders, (related and not related gear were there too) but what I liked the best was that I could easily compare the bike from Kawasaki, Harley or Honda almost side by side at the same time, (plus "shmbo" found some riding gear before we left).

Last season saw us riding "Rain Maker" from early in April until November 15th when it was an incredible +21 degrees!
"Rain Maker" is a nick name put on the bike by some smaller family members because every time I showed up on a ride, it would later rain!  The name has stuck.
"Rain Maker" has just over 53000 kms logged now; it's a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and it has been mechanically flawless.  Aside from general maintenance,  tires, oil etc there have been zero problems with the bike.  Last year I fitted a small back rest/luggage bar and a two up seat for my lady and we've been happily cruising around in town and out and even on the bigger highways.  The 900 has been great, (every blog or forum will say that the following and I completely agree; the 900 could use a better seat, and one more gear in the transmission - but that said, "Rain Maker" easily keeps with anything I've asked it to do, even the mountains and curves in Mont Tremblant two up!).

Age must be catching up to me; last season numbness in my hands was a large problem - although there are no winter project works for "Rain Maker" I think some grips and end weights are in order; this will be less expensive than other options.

In the meantime, the bike is tucked away in it's hibernation, patiently waiting for the spring to break - that said, i noticed a bike parked above ground and covered in snow this weekend in the same complex where I am - I have the room, perhaps I will share the under ground parking stall with them, once I find them.

No comments: