Thursday, October 08, 2009

A Random thought - insomnia day 6!

A human touch.
This small phrase has been viral in my thoughts since I first heard it – spoken in reference to giving a homeless lady not just money but to give “a human touch”, a recognition of still being human in a decimated life. This, she tells me, is what she was given in return - a beautiful thought!

I met a homeless guy on O Conner street, who spends some afternoons wishing everyone who walks by a "very great day", and gives a genuine smile to all! I considered this as I chatted with him briefly, we all may walk together and share that sidewalk, but how rarely do we ever talk to one another? I tried this just Thursday last week - I am pretty sure the lady thought I was a freak! Now, is not this guy both giving and receiving "a human touch"?

A new friend and "blogger" , (SkiGurl) is in the midst of a break up and as one reads her blog, we share her anguish, (oh and is she pissed at you dude!). While reviewing her posts, do we not also share with her, albeit virtually, "a human touch"? I know she values the comments that get posted, and again, is this not sharing "a human touch"?

This fall season seems to have been difficult for several friends and I have made myself available to listen and offer comfort where I can, (a shoulder to cry on so to speak) - in retrospect, I am not giving "a human touch"? As well, am I not seeking my own "human touch" by posting my own thoughts here online?

Damn this sentimentality, Insomnia, how I hate the creature you make me!

Neil Young -

"Open up your eyes
See how life time flies
Open up and let the light back in.

Open up your heart
Let the lovin' start
Open up and let the light back in..."

No comments: